Strange behaviour from HDR-FOX T2

Thanks for the advice. I'll run it again tomorrow (too late to start another run now). For my understanding, what does success look like here?

If it is the disk on its way out, what sort of disk would I need to buy to replace it? Is it possible to clone the current setup onto a new disk?

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.

For my understanding, what does success look like here?
Zero defects.

If it is the disk on its way out, what sort of disk would I need to buy to replace it?
Ideally a Seagate Pipeline, up to 2TB in size (that's not an absolute limit, but over 2TB and CF becomes essential to set it up).

Is it possible to clone the current setup onto a new disk?
What "setup" do you have in mind? (up to 2TB) The HDR-FOX disk formatting tool creates all the necessary partitions and structures. All that remains to do is reinstall the CF (if you wish), and copy across any recordings you want to save (or leave them where they are and play them from USB).

What "setup" do you have in mind?
I was thinking things like all the packages (and their configuration options) that are currently on my recorder, along with the mappings to my NAS that are currently in the "ModSettings" folder. That sort of thing, to avoid having to set it all up from scratch again.

I was thinking things like all the packages (and their configuration options) that are currently on my recorder, along with the mappings to my NAS that are currently in the "ModSettings" folder. That sort of thing, to avoid having to set it all up from scratch again.
I would (personally) prefer to reinstall from scratch (very easy if you make a note of what optional packages you have installed), and then it is simple enough to copy across any settings and config files. You'll need a USB-SATA adapter if you don't already have one (everyone should have one!).

IMO: yes. You just need to check on arrival that if it is advertised as a "new" rather than "used" HDD it doesn't have loads of hours on it.

You would be able to copy across ModSettings and folder flags from one disk to another but for other packages the setting can be stored in a number of different places so it is usually easier to recreate them than to try and provide a list of things to be coped.
One exception might be to copy /mod/etc/sweeper.conf if you have a large set of sweeper rules.

However don't give up your disk yet, 200 reallocated sectors is not the end of the world

Third run complete. I'm interested to know what a good result would look like, if anyone could tell me. Many thanks.

Edit: I've just noticed @Black Hole's "Zero defects" comment. I had missed that, sorry. Do I want zero defects during the fixdisk run, or are you talking about the red box afterwards reporting zero in every field?

Attachments

• fixdisk_log3.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 4
  • disk_afterfixdisk3.pdf
    502.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Third run complete. I'm interested to know what a good result would look like, if anyone could tell me. Many thanks.
I'm not a disk expert but I would like to see 0 for lines 197 and 198 and "Extended offline Completed without error 00% " in the self-test logs.

It is troubling that line 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct continues to grow

I'm not a disk expert but I would like to see 0 for lines 197 and 198 and "Extended offline Completed without error 00% " in the self-test logs.

It is troubling that line 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct continues to grow

OK thanks. The Reallocated_Sector_Ct (assuming this is the same number as that in the red box) has been increasing very steadily for some time. I did some reading on the forums and found that others were reporting much bigger numbers and didn't seem very concerned, so I put it to the back of my mind. Maybe the bleedin' obvious has been staring me in the face for a while!

Last edited:
OK thanks. The Reallocated_Sector_Ct (assuming this is the same number as that in the red box) has been increasing very steadily for some time. I did some reading on the forums and found that others were reporting much bigger numbers and didn't seem very concerned, so I put it to the back of my mind. Maybe the bleedin' obvious has been staring me in the face for a while!
I think the issue is that an increase in Reallocated_Sector_Ct may indicate there is an issue with the drive. If that number stayed the same (or decrease) after two successive runs of fixdisk then it'll be ok. Ie running a utility may increase that count, but it's preferable if that count doesn't increase daily.

Last edited:
The Seagate Pipeline hard disks seem to be end of life. There are some available on Amazon but they look a bit suspect (being sold by third parties etc). Are there any other types I could get?
Also, is there a forum page about how to install a new hard drive? (I'm OK with the mechanical bit, it's the formatting and setting up I need some help with).
Thank you.

The Seagate Pipeline hard disks seem to be end of life. There are some available on Amazon but they look a bit suspect (being sold by third parties etc).
I agree that buying hard drives from Amazon marketplace is not a good idea. If you want a Seagate drive then the only possibility is the Seagate Skyhawk drives available in various sizes from 1TB upwards. These are surveillance drives so optimised for a slightly different workload to a PVR but users have fitted them to Humax PVRs successfully. The alternative would be the western Digital drives but others on the forum have more experience with them.
Also, is there a forum page about how to install a new hard drive? (I'm OK with the mechanical bit, it's the formatting and setting up I need some help with).
You could read https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog which does give some advantages but basically if you have software 1.03.12 then it is literally a case of fit the new drive and the power up the Humax and it will prompt you to format the drive. Copy recordings from the old drive, reinstall the custom firmware and away you go.

I think the issue is that an increase in Reallocated_Sector_Ct may indicate there is an issue with the drive. If that number stayed the same (or decrease) after two successive runs of fixdisk then it'll be ok. Ie running a utility may increase that count, but it's preferable if that count doesn't increase daily.
I agree that if the reallocated sectors are increasing daily then that is an issue but so far only 7% of the spare sectors have been used. In a situation where the drive has problems then fixing the problems is likely to increase the count. The real issue here is that the extended offline test keeps finding a problem but the current_pending_sector count never reaches zero.

The Seagate Pipeline hard disks seem to be end of life.
They are, but if you can get one - so what? You also have to watch out you are not fobbed off with a SATA1 unit:
So, it looks like both replacement disks are SATA I, rather than SATA II, and are presumably not compatible with the T2 for that reason. One vendor has already agreed to a refund and I'm hoping that the other will too.
For the sake of completeness, here is what people need to know if they wish to do a like-for-like replacement of the disk in an HDR Fox T2. The disk that was fitted to my T2 was a Seagate ST3500312CS. If you go onto eBay you will find that there are lots of these disks for sale, often described as disks pulled from Sky boxes. The problem is that there are lots of revisions of the Seagate ST3500312CS. The disk fitted to my T2 was P/N 9GW132-191 and that has a SATA II interface. Most of the disks on eBay are P/N 9GW132-012 with a SATA I interface. Be sure to check that you are buying the correct P/N version by inspecting the photograph of the disk label.
Just to add a little bit of new information to an old thread. I have been helping somebody over on Digital Spy who had bought a Seagate ST3500312CS with P/N 9GW132-012 and of course it didn't work in the Humax. He has now bought a Seagate ST3500312CS P/N 9GW132-075 and that does work.

Other drives have been tried, some are not recommended because of undesirable features such as regular head parking. Look for existing threads about replacement drives. A few:

Last edited:
Back