Strange behaviour from HDR-FOX T2

SATA3 should fall back to SATA2 (or even SATA1), but SATA1 can't "upgrade" to SATA2!

Assuming you get what is being offered, I think that's a good choice. If it isn't... then it just goes back.

Copy recordings from the old drive, reinstall the custom firmware and away you go.

All my recordings are already copied to separate storage, so I'm not worried about that. I'm happy installing the HDD and it sounds like formatting is easy enough. I'm happy installing the custom firmware. What I'm concerned about is all the settings for the individual packages. For example, everything I've setup for tunefix, the settings for detectads etc etc. Is it possible to copy those across? Thanks.

The later black-fronted Sky+ HD 2GB boxes use the WD20EURX drive - I've got a pulled one here.

It's end of life but still can be had although for quite a bit more than a standard desktop 2GB drive. There's always the possibility of picking a up Sky box cheap - unfortunately I no longer have access to the source of discarded ones.

Is that a regular occurrence?
It must be on 'recertified' drives.

Which reminds me. CPC do recertified drives and they've got ST3500312CS drives, as used in the 500GB HDR, under CS29474 for £17.94. You'll have to add something to it to get free delivery though but that shouldn't be difficult.

Which reminds me. CPC do recertified drives and they've got ST3500312CS drives, as used in the 500GB HDR, under CS29474 for £17.94. You'll have to add something to it to get free delivery though but that shouldn't be difficult.

That looks like a good option. I transfer or delete all my recordings so 500GB should be more than enough.

I always recommend a kit that includes a power adapter - in case you ever want to power up a desktop drive, and there's no guarantee the HDR-FOX USB port will power the drive on its own (the USB sockets are too far apart to double-up).
If I bought the ebay one, could I plug one of the USB cables into the Humax and the other into a phone charger?

Hold up a bit. If you are copying from a 3.5 desktop drive to a 3.5 desktop HDD then both require a 12V supply as well as 5V and that is not available from a USB socket (or even from two of them)

Thanks. I think this has gone beyond my knowledge. I wonder if someone would be kind enough to recommend which piece of kit I would need to allow me to copy all my existing package settings from the HDD that is currently inside my Humax (but when copying will be outside my Humax) to a new HDD which will be inside my Humax.

Perhaps I could copy the relevant files to a USB stick while the old HDD is in the Humax and then copy them from the USB stick to the new HDD once it's fitted to the Humax??

Perhaps I could copy the relevant files to a USB stick while the old HDD is in the Humax and then copy them from the USB stick to the new HDD once it's fitted to the Humax??
You could, but then you don't have access to the old HDD if something was forgotten, and you won't have acquired a useful tool for your toolbox.

The eBay search "usb sata adapter 12v" immediately came up with this:

...which includes a UK PSU, for about a tenner. (The PSU might well come with a plug adapter for UK rather than be actually "UK".)

You will need a pretty big USB and the double copy will take absolutely ages.
Copying to a computer on the same network would be an alternative, but it's just that using a 'caddy' is the 'easiest' way.

@BH. Looks pretty much the same one, but cheaper :laugh:

Back