Strange behaviour from HDR-FOX T2

Ages ago I posted a suggestion to use rsync to restore your files under these circumstances.
I've probably mentioned it before: some enterprising person might consider creating a package (or something) which can export just the user customisation within their CF (list of optional packages, configurations, ...). Then a rebuild could be based on a fresh (rather than stale) installation, and the customisation applied afterwards.

Until such is available, I would (personally) much prefer to rebuild manually than copy en bloc... complete with any inconsistencies and latent trouble.

But it is currently out of stock and my guess as they have stopped making them; won't be in stock again.

Asking around on Hardware forums .... been advised that buying a WD HDD is much better (on all fronts) that a Seagate.
Better reliability, 3 yr warranty to quote " WD20EURX AV-GP Specifically built to last in high temperature always-on streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVR/DVR and IPTV systems. "

Being used by a lot of people to upgrade Sky+ box ................ anybody any reason not to use this drive, as Seagate Pipeline now ceased manufacture.

been advised that buying a WD HDD is much better (on all fronts) that a Seagate
Tough one that. IIRC the branded HDDs are all actually made by just a few plants, so really they are all much of a muchness when it comes to reliability or whatever. What matters is their features, some of which (I have said) are not desirable unless you can turn them off.

Western Digital branded HDDs use colour names. For example:
The WD purple is designed for motion-activated surveillance systems and not for the type of load that a PVR places on it.

Seagate Pipeline now ceased manufacture
As I said before, in other threads, if you can get one it doesn't matter that there is no future continuity of supply.

Being used by a lot of people to upgrade Sky+ box ................ anybody any reason not to use this drive, as Seagate Pipeline now ceased manufacture.
I think you will find the WD20EURX AV-GP is also out of production. They are still available but quite pricey.

The WD I mentioned is a BLACK and it does say recommended for PVR, I have been reading through past posts and it seems there was was a reason not to have the model with 'auto head parking' but that seems to not be on the models for some years. Maybe I'll just get what is best offer.

That's interesting - I don't know what all the columns are (I presume different models of recorder), but if you avoid the rows with few ticks you immediately remove the WD Purple, which we know about.

My new HDD has now arrived. Am I right in thinking that I can remove the old one, put the new on in, switch on, and it will take care of the formatting for me?

Ive installed the new HDD (500GB, CS29474 from CPC as suggested by @everthewatcher earlier in the thread).
When I power on the device, I get my TV picture and my TV guide, but there's no automatic option to do any formatting.

When I press MEDIA on the handset, nothing happens.
If I go to its IP address on a web broswer it says "The system is initialising". That page keeps reloading and eventually it gives up and says "no hard disk is detected".
If I try to do Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage, I can't select Data Storage because it's greyed out.

Looks like it's not detecting the HDD.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Ive installed the new HDD (500GB, CS29474 from CPC as suggested by @everthewatcher earlier in the thread).
When I power on the device, I get my TV picture and my TV guide, but there's no automatic option to do any formatting.
Fairly obviously the Humax isn't recognising the hard drive; I take it you are confident that it is correctly connected. Can you connect it to a PC and see if that can see the drive?

Back