[sysmon] System Monitoring

Thankyou. That is pretty much as I thought. Not to worry. My reason is quite obscure in that I've externally mounted the HDD and would ideally like proof that the airflow from my modified fan is enough (or even if it is necessary at all, given the drive isn't there creating heat). I'm reasonably confident it is, but it's difficult to be absolutely certain.
Out of interest, why have you moved the internal HDD outside the case?

Because I found the fan too noisy. No doubt some people will question this, but individual sensitivities, tolerances and environments vary.

I don't really notice the fan in my HDR unless I'm am watching the TV with the sound on mute (usually during advert breaks, when there is no buffer to fast forward through), However as I suspect my first Humax (now replaced ) died due to a fan failure I have always wanted to not rely on a fan. I am contemplating attaching a large heatsink to the bottom metal plate and possibly beefing up the heat transfer from anything that gets hot to the plate inside, but I think it maybe too much to ask that it won't need any forced air at all, we'll have to see

Because I found the fan too noisy. No doubt some people will question this, but individual sensitivities, tolerances and environments vary.
Which model do you have? I have the 500GB version and I don't hear mine at all. I've loaded sysmon and it says my fan never runs. The temperature go from 22 up to about 53.

Due to space I have my HDR on its end with the display at the bottom and the buttons at the top. It sits next to my right hand speaker.

Installed it and it works really well.

Only complaints is the size of the icon and the fact it requires flash so doesn't work on my iOS devices.

Only complaints is the size of the icon and the fact it requires flash so doesn't work on my iOS devices.

I haven't had much time to work on the next version but given the number of comments on here I will reduce the size of the icon : ) - it's actually the same width as the others so that might lead to it looking a bit odd, but I'll see.

Flash isn't my favourite platform but this graphing package does allow for rapid prototyping and I needed something that runs in the browser because the Humax doesn't have the necessary CPU power to produce the graphs on the fly (at least, we wouldn't want to distract it from its main tasks while it did so). There are charting libraries written in Javascript instead and I'll investigate switching to them at some point.

Edit: http://www.highcharts.com/products/highcharts looks like a good fit... Should have some time next week.

I haven't had much time to work on the next version but given the number of comments on here I will reduce the size of the icon : ) - it's actually the same width as the others so that might lead to it looking a bit odd, but I'll see.

Flash isn't my favourite platform but this graphing package does allow for rapid prototyping and I needed something that runs in the browser because the Humax doesn't have the necessary CPU power to produce the graphs on the fly (at least, we wouldn't want to distract it from its main tasks while it did so). There are charting libraries written in Javascript instead and I'll investigate switching to them at some point.

Edit: http://www.highcharts.com/products/highcharts looks like a good fit... Should have some time next week.
Reduce the size of the icon picture but leave the icon itself the same size by increasing the border so as to keep all the icons lined up.

I've just uploaded a new version of sysmon which uses a different graphing library. This one still renders graphs on the client side to avoid putting load on the Humax but should work on iOS and Android too - Android needs to download an additional library but that should happen automatically...

Looking Good
EDIT
I spoke too soon, after a re-boot the Sysmon icon has gone, with sysmon 1.0.5 and webif-charts 1.1 Firefox 12 :(

Ah, yes. A webif upgrade is required too... it's there now.
I have auto-update installed and my box is now on webif 0.9.7-2. I also have disable-ota installed, but the 04:30 Auto Update for Tuesday has reappeared in Scheduled Events.

I like the new graph, but find the green colour shades are too similar and hard to differentiate. The icon is too domineering for me.
It works on my iPhone now as you suggested it would. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I like the way that clicking on the graph (touching in my case) brings up a little info window, with date, time and percentage, which can be scrolled along the timeline.

Oh yes, so it does.

I'm not convinced about this fan business. My (idling) temperature profile shows a sawtooth - a slow ramp from about 47 to 53 deg.C over about an hour, and then a quick drop over 10 mins or so down to 47 deg.C again. This says to me the fan stays off until it reaches the upper limit and then comes on until it reaches the lower limit, without any graduation. If there were intermediate throttle settings one would expect the temperature to stabilise at one setting (or alternate between two adjacent settings) that balanced heat generated with head dissipated. At the very least there should be breakpoints in the slopes to indicate where the fan has revved up or down.

In my view the temperature graph should just show the temperature and not make any claims about what the fan is doing (which is an assumption) - even though it makes the graph look more interesting.

The fan indicators on the graph are wrong. Ezra has said that it comes on at full at the high temperature point then slows to half then quarter then off as the temperature comes down.

It makes sense that they would try to delay using the fan as long as possible to increase the quiet period following switch on.

But I don't see any breakpoints in the cool-down ramp either. Could be I have a hardware build without a speed-controlled fan.

It's easy to check, When it's quiet, listen for the fan turing on (Full), the graphs should tell you when it is going to happen, then wait for the fan noise to change 'tone', you should see that the fan is still spinning but slower. A narrow strip of paper stuck to the fan 'exit' helps

Back