The Arms Dictionary

missile: an American who pretends to yearn to be back in Ireland, which he has probably never visited.

Did you not even use Camel Case? castRate?
This was many years ago using a compiled Basic for an Altos 4 user system, MP/M operating system with a Z80 processor. (I was only the programmer - not the commisioner of the equipment). Back in those days we spoke in capitals - so no camel case. These days, with C/C++/Java or whatever, I would use castRate - or maybe castingRate, so as not to suggest any cuts.

I wrote continuous function on the board in my early days. In fact, my first year as a lecturer. After repeating it several times, I decided to abbreviate it to cont fun, and became aware of a few suppressed giggles. I hadn't closed the top of the o.
In the earlier days of Apple computers and Apple Basic, a lecturer made a bodge of something and his program crashed. "Try typing cont", I said. The look on his face when he thought I'd said something else. "C...O...N...T", I said (I may have muttered another similar word under my breath at that point).

Back