What We Know So Far ...

Suspect it's the same as a Foxsat-hdr, SD not encrypted, HD encrypted according to broadcaster flag. It appears you can copy recordings directly to a PC (ftp ?), so at a guess no decryption is involved.
Could be like the Foxsat-hdr, but the HDR-FOX comes with an ftp server too so we won't know until someone tests it.

Could be like the Foxsat-hdr, but the HDR-FOX comes with an ftp server too so we won't know until someone tests it.

Correct me if wrong, if you ftp a SD recording to a PC it remains encrypted. Not so apparently with the Freeview Play box. We also know only SD recordings can be streamed.

Correct me if wrong, if you ftp a SD recording to a PC it remains encrypted. Not so apparently with the Freeview Play box. We also know only SD recordings can be streamed.
I'd missed that, I read on MHO that you could copy to USB with the remote and get an unencrypted recording, but I've not read about ftp transfers. The SD DLNA streaming is like the HDR-2000T and is not indicative.

I'd missed that, I read on MHO that you could copy to USB with the remote and get an unencrypted recording, but I've not read about ftp transfers. The SD DLNA streaming is like the HDR-2000T and is not indicative.

I put the question mark on ftp, because Barry confirmed that a SD recording can be moved directly to a PC or via usb. ftp wasn't specifically mentioned.

Still the shame shoddy looking remote though:cool:
I rather like the remote control supplied with the FVP-4000T. The button feel and layout seem to be better than the ones supplied with the HD/HDR-FOX T2 boxes, the only possible downside is that Humax no longer supply Rocket batteries. It remains to be seen how long the supplied batteries last, and how well the remote control survives prolonged use.

Interesting post from Barry at MHO: see here. It turns out that any recording (including standard def.) transferred by ftp is encrypted. So it seems that all recordings are OD encrypted with standard def. ones decrypted on copy to USB. The unit also has a Samba server, and standard def. files transferred this way are not encrypted. This indicates that files are decrypted on the fly when copied by this method too. The recordings consist of ts, nts and hjm files (see earlier post in the above thread) so there is no hmt file. It may be that Humax have locked down the hjm files to prevent decryption of high def. content, but it would be interesting to have a look at one. It could be that the hjm file itself is encrypted, that would be an obvious way of stopping people from tinkering.

Good article, thanks. 8/10 feels a little generous based on the review content though.

The recording list screen shouts out as being unwieldy.
It has six large thumbnails and very little information on each including lacking any description for the recording which is currently in focus.

Any one know how many button presses it takes to get the programme description up on the screen and move on to the next recording?

THIS is the first proper review I have seen.

No ability to create your own folders in the library :(

I will be setting one up for a friend in a few days so I will be very interested to see how it compares to our HDR. She currently has an old 9150 so won't notice things like not being able to create folders or seeing fewer programs on the guide and no PIP in the guide as she doesnt have them now.......

I wonder how much those things actually matter? Maybe (maybe!) Humax did some market research and discovered that those features are not used much. Maybe (and I realise this is heresy) if we didn't have them we would simply adopt an "is it what it is" attitude and just use it as it is.

I have my Humii set up to do all sorts of fancy things "because I can" - but have they been an overall time saver? I doubt it. If I hadn't been able to do that, I might have spent my time on something more productive!

(Which is not to say we don't have a great community as a result of "being able to", or that I have not had a great deal of value from being part of that community.)

... so there is no hmt file. It may be that Humax have locked down the hjm files to prevent decryption of high def. content, but it would be interesting to have a look at one. It could be that the hjm file itself is encrypted, that would be an obvious way of stopping people from tinkering.

Rather than speculating, is there anyone who can provide an hjm file so that we can make an informed observation? Better still, are there two people who can record the same programme and provide us with two independent hjm files for the same content? That way we may be able to discover whether the file is encrypted and whether it is device dependent (probably uncrackable) or not (maybe some hope).

Rather than speculating, is there anyone who can provide an hjm file so that we can make an informed observation? Better still, are there two people who can record the same programme and provide us with two independent hjm files for the same content? That way we may be able to discover whether the file is encrypted and whether it is device dependent (probably uncrackable) or not (maybe some hope).
I was dropping rather a large hint... What would also be useful are hjm files from both standard def. and high def. recordings to see where they differ.

Nice one.
" Officially, only MP3s and JPEGs are supported. ... but had problems playing MKVs (even though they're officially supported)"

Back