What We Know So Far ...

Anyone know of any other triple tuner PVRs?
The EE TV box has 4. But initial setup has to be done on a network that is EETV enabled. Which is fine by me, as I am.
Record 4 or Record 2 and have instant reply of up to 6 channels for up to 24 hrs thanks to its 1TB HDD.

As it's now for sale on the Humax site I checked the specs. Apparently it has no hard drive and, amongst other probable errors, they have transposed the SD and HD recording duration figures.

You would imagine being ,one of, the first to market it would have made sense to check these things!

As it's now for sale on the Humax site I checked the specs. Apparently it has no hard drive and, amongst other probable errors, they have transposed the SD and HD recording duration figures.

You would imagine being ,one of, the first to market it would have made sense to check these things!
They have a long history of lack of finesse bordering on incompetence.

Looking at the pictures it seems we have lost picture in picture on the guide now and I also can't see any skip backwards/forwards buttons on the remote either :(

I have seen a few different posts saying its very slow responding to the remote :(. Fingers crossed this will be improved by software updates...

Sorry if this seems (or is) a stupid question, but does it have the facility to record 'catch up tv' for watching later, or only live tv?

Not a stupid question to my mind, the previous generations of Freeview / Youview didn't allow this and my guess is Freeview Play won't allow it either, due to broadcaster's restrictions

I have been thinking about a youview player and now this!
What are the benefits of freeview play over youview? Aren't they just the same thing?

I have been thinking about a youview player and now this!
What are the benefits of freeview play over youview? Aren't they just the same thing?
When choosing between a freeviw play recorder and a Youview recorder recorder. They are very different. Youview recorders have no manual tuning facility to override the ill Humax autotuning which will matter a lot if it fails to coorectlt tune to you main transmitter for all channels and tunes to another transmitter instead for some channels. Youview recorders cannot override recorder times for channels that don't support accurate recording.

No Youview box has DLNA for sharing recordings around the home. The FVP-4000T has DLNA for standard definition recordings.

No Youviw box can play any videos or display JPGs off a USB stick. The FVP-4000T can play at least some formats.

No Youview box has wifi built in. The FVP-4000T has.

No Youview box can switch to all the IPTV channels in the freeview epg. The FVP-4000T can.

Manufacturers of Youview boxes are very constrained by the Youview core software and the Youview Technical spec. Non-Youview boxes have more flexibility for what the manufacturer can include.

Edit: Also no Youview box can archive its recordings to an external drive. The FVP-4000T can and reports are that standard definition recordings will also then play on other devices.

Last edited:
When choosing between a freeviw play recorder and a Youview recorder recorder. They are very different. Youview recorders have no manual tuning facility to override the ill Humax autotuning which will matter a lot if it fails to coorectlt tune to you main transmitter for all channels and tunes to another transmitter instead for some channels. Youview recorders cannot override recorder times for channels that don't support accurate recording.

No Youview box has DLNA for sharing recordings around the home. The FVP-4000T has DLNA for standard definition recordings.

No Youviw box can play any videos or display JPGs off a USB stick. The FVP-4000T can play at least some formats.

No Youview box has wifi built in. The FVP-4000T has.

No Youview box can switch to all the IPTV channels in the freeview epg. The FVP-4000T can.

Manufacturers of Youview boxes are very constrained by the Youview core software and the Youview Technical spec. Non-Youview boxes have more flexibility for what the manufacturer can include.

Edit: Also no Youview box can archive its recordings to an external drive. The FVP-4000T can and reports are that standard definition recordings will also then play on other devices.

Add no way to create manual recordings or pad recording times on a Youview box. You are entirely dependent on the broadcaster using Accurate Recording or if they do not use AR then sticking rigidly to the scheduled transmission times.

Afaik (other than a PC based solution) - Only a HDR FOX T2 with the Custom Firmware can directly record streamed catch up content. Sources though are limited (basically iplayer and YouTube). Handy if you want to watch later on a mobile device with no internet access.

Thank you for the prompt responses. From what you are saying 'youview' is dead (or dying).
So glad I didnt upgrade my hdr fox t2 when youview was launched!
Shame the 'play' is not uhd...... but definately getting one.

Hi Guys,

Just had an email about his new unit. Love the extra tuner as I currently use 3 units to record and this could potentially cut it down to 2 which would be nice.

Wondered if anyone can tell me if its possible to renumber channels and if the skip forwards and backwards is adjustable like the fox t2?

Also does anyone know if af123 might work his magic on this box as I honestly don't know if I could give up my fox which is amazing with the custom firmware.

Thanks for any replies guys :)

Hi Guys,

Just had an email about his new unit. Love the extra tuner as I currently use 3 units to record and this could potentially cut it down to 2 which would be nice.

Wondered if anyone can tell me if its possible to renumber channels and if the skip forwards and backwards is adjustable like the fox t2?

Also does anyone know if af123 might work his magic on this box as I honestly don't know if I could give up my fox which is amazing with the custom firmware.

Thanks for any replies guys :)

I very much doubt if channel renumbering is available nor is there much chance (also a guess) as to CF.

With regard to skip see the faq thread at MyHumax (There is no skip buttons on the remote, but there are user set forward/reverse functions).

I use 4 boxes ? The live streaming capability (if it works well), would be attractive to me as a 5th box located in my study.

I very much doubt if channel renumbering is available nor is there much chance (also a guess) as to CF.

:( :( So disappointed about that, the custom firmware is just amazing and I guess we have been spoiled having it as the thought of using a Humax bog standard box just doesn't appeal to me at all now.

Thanks for reply Graham, do you have a direct link to the My Humax FAQ ?

Edit, Its ok Ive found it, here is a link for anyone else looking for it

https://myhumax.org/forum/forum/fvp-4000t

Last edited:
Pretty astounded that there are no skip buttons tbh as they are surely the most used buttons on the whole remote, are they not?

Will reserve judgement for now but from what I can gather from reviews so far its not looking great. Although glad to see its £200 rather than £300 which is what i paid for my foxes.

Then again, I've had to have 2 of my remotes replaced under warranty for the skip buttons failing, so I bet that's why they have done this !

Back