Words we cannot abide.

Buddy and pal - especially when used by some UK police officers who have only just met the person they are dealing with. eg. "Calm down buddy!"

How about series.:frantic: Series 4 is far easier to say, and a lot more descriptive than Autumn 2017
Seasons are times of the year. There are four of them but I suppose that you already know that. :D

I don't have a problem with season as I don't have a better alternative.

Well, erm, Series ?

It served us well for decades, and nobody here used 'season' until the early 90's when American imports on Sky got popular, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon of using 'season' instead.

How about 'Mate' when you have never met the person before. Especially when they are considerably younger than you and the correct thing to do would show some deference.

I didn't think that it needed spelling out... how do you differentiate from smallest to largest; episode, season, series.

I didn't think that it needed spelling out... how do you differentiate from smallest to largest; episode, season, series.
Episode, series, and then for all episodes just 'programme' or 'all episodes' depending on context or sometimes no qualifier at all.

Last edited:
How about 'Mate' when you have never met the person before. Especially when they are considerably younger than you and the correct thing to do would show some deference.
Or, around this neck of the woods, 'Love' for men and women.

If they are female I would not have an issue as it may be meant as an invitation, we can all dream.

Especially when they are considerably younger than you and the correct thing to do would show some deference.
The young don't do that. I could cheerfully have killed some sarky little bitch (about 12-13) in a supermarket the other week. Her odious mother was just as bad. I expressed my displeasure some other way and moved on. She threatened to "wait for me outside". God, I almost wished she had...

The odious mothers were not brought up properly so neither are their kids. It's all self self self, no consideration for others, and just maybe the Covid emergency might change that a little.

No it won't. It is obviously exacerbating it. "Social distancing?" "What the f*** for?" "To stop killing people, stupid." "I don't care as long as it ain't me mate."

Boxed Sets when you don't get a boxfull of TV programmes. Surely they mean "Series" as discussed above.

Misuse of the word 'legend' applied to footballers who may have played for a club for a time but were just mundane.

I fail to understand how a linked collection of episodes in a series, available to stream from a server somewhere, constitutes a "box set" anyway. Yes, I have the Bond movies on DVD in an overall box... and that is indeed a boxed set.

Maybe we could start referring to the on-line version as a "binge set".

Back