Words we cannot abide.

I deal with a lot of people from California (or who live there now) and on chat systems almost all of their sentences start with "So". It's slightly less annoying when written than when said.
It's so [ :frantic:] common that I've had to stop myself from starting sentences with "So" on this forum. :D I'm not sure I've always succeeded.

I do it, when appropriate - I refuse to be denied the right. However, grammatically, it would be better preceded by a comma than a full stop.

I'm not sure what % of average TV viewers would know what that meant :rolleyes:
I'm not sure much of this forum doesn't go over the heads of some "readers" (using the term in its loosest sense) - I suspect they don't even know what a dictionary is, let alone have the gumption to open one.

I'm not sure much of this forum doesn't go over the heads of some "readers" (using the term in its loosest sense) - I suspect they don't even know what a dictionary is.
I'm sure. Most of the forum goes over the heads of many readers. If some (most) of the technical stuff goes over my head - and it does - I suspect the casual reader will be stumped. As for language topics, ejucashun aint wot it uzed to be innit? Dictionary? Is that the book in the bookcase next to the bible? Two of the least thumbed books on the bookshelf.

"Quarter-final" and "Semi-final" in linear elimination competitions, when there is only one of each, as used in this series of The Great British Sewing Bee.
:devilish:
What about athletics were it is typical to have three semi-finals to determine eight runners for the final (first and second from each semi plus two fastest losers).?

Another Americanism: adaption. Why do they insist on leaving letters out (when the rest of the time they try to find ever longer ways of saying the same thing)?

Back