Assume v. Presume

So the places the fuzz work from should be "crime stations"?

Prisons = crime depots

Hospitals = ?

Regarding the removal of tolls at the Severn Bridges (free passage from 18th December - or maybe 17th December, it's difficult to tell from the sloppy wording in the letter), this statement has appeared on the relevant web site:

"We are sending out letters and e-mails to all users to inform them of the account closure process, in order to make the account close down process as smooth as possible once the tolls go [sic] on the 17 December. You may receive an email and a letter, this is just to make sure we’ve contacted all our account holders.

Highways England is aware of an issue that has affected a small amount [sic] of our TAG account holders. If you have received a letter from us, it may show an incorrect title or initials, we apologise for any confusion. However, the letter is still intended for the TAG account holder at your address. This was due to an error in the mail merge process used to produce the letters - we apologise for this error."

Sigh.

Figuratively speaking, the letter I received was addressed to a PROF A HOLE instead of MR B HOLE. It is signed by the General Manager, who apparently is not a Ms A Hole.

Last edited:
I downloaded the authorisation form for account closure and refund (why they need authorisation I do not know!), in preference to the alternative of phoning them up. Had I not done that, I would not have known something which appears not to be specified anywhere else (including in the letter): not to give the authorisation until after the last time I intend to use my tag! They also say if that is 17th December, to delay until 2nd January (because the toll office will be closed during removal of the toll gates and then for Christmas).

I was about to get my end of the admin done and dusted...

What about the errant semi-colon in St. Hel;ens? Google sort of implies the the apostrophe is optional there.
And where should the apostrophe go in Dancers?
I would change the wording of the pricing as well, so that it doesn't look like population is measured in GBP and fractions thereof.

I was wondering what a "cob clamp" was, but eventually twigged :)
The font certainly disguises the issue a bit.

& another thing...

I absolutely can't abide the modern trend that writes things such as 7.2 or 5.3 or 12.5 and such like for prices. Even with the £ sign it is irritating. Without it, it is grossly annoying.

station (n.)

late 13c., "place which one normally occupies,"
From which you could argue that as a train only momentarily occupies the place where people get on and off and that there are many of these, not one, that it is not its station in life.

Back