Channel 5 HD

The bit that I don't understand is why it shows,apparently correctly and as I would expect, on the box EPG but not on the webif EPG. I assumed that the webif EPG was just a copy of the box EPG, but obviously it isn't.
On the SUI, the channel is listed because it's in the channel database. The EPG is blank because there is no data.
The EPG data for all channels is put by the Humax software in to /mnt/hd1/dvbepg/epg.dat (on the HDR) which is then parsed by the "epg" utility to create the /mnt/hd1/epg.db database.
The WebIf extracts data from this database to create the EPG web page. No C5HD data in the .dat file means none in the database and no display on the web page. Perhaps it would be better if it did display blank lines rather than omitting them, but that's one for af123 to consider.
What actually triggers tunefix, as the manual reboot from the webif didn't seem to trigger it, but something overnight did?
It runs when you reboot or restart without a reboot.

Thanks for that great explanation prpr. Now I understand what and why things happen with the two EPGs. That's what I didn't understand.
Still a bit of a mystery why my reboot from the Webif did not cause tunefix to change the EPG on the SUI last night though. Still, I don't really care as it's right, just as I want it now.
The reason that I wanted 105 moved on the SUI EPG to LCN7 (or 8:)) was so that I could see what's on CH5 from LCN 5 and quickly down arrow to LCN7 and OK it to select the channel rather than having to key in 105.
Perhaps it would be better if it did display blank lines rather than omitting them, but that's one for af123 to consider.
Agreed. That would have saved me a bit confusion, if it *had* showed up as a valid LCN with a programme name on the Webif, but a blank data line (just as it does on the SUI), but I suppose it's only relevant if one is 'fiddling' as adding CH5HD could be considered to be. I was happy enough with no programme data in the SUI, but it was the total absence of the entry on the Webif was confusing me. And as you have probably noticed, that is easily done.:laugh:

Thank you very much prpr.

Worked first time.

I have set up NCIS SD and HD recordings for later today and look forward to viewing them in HD.

The recordings were already scheduled in SD so I changed to manual and changed to CH5 HD. adding padding at beginning and end as they will record back to back.

I then rescheduled them as normal in SD (as a backup).

Do I need to do anything else?

If you are going to keep the recordings for any length of time, or have a lot of them, then the lack of HD title and description could become confusing. What you could do after the recordings have been created is to use the webif to cut and past the title and description from the SD recording to the HD recording for any that you may not be watching and deleting very soon. The other alternative is to move them into the same folder so that the SD and HD recordings for each programme are next to each other and that way it is also easy to see what has been recorded from channel 5 HD.

Thanks Luke.

Good idea. I will probably watch these soon and then delete but would be worth doing for some other recordings.

Had a struggle with telnet (from putty.exe) apparently not pasting - then eventually doing it when I didn't expect.
Then after (or before) rebooting the box froze with green screen on the TV, so I had to power it down and back.
But when it came back it had worked - Ch5HD :)

And it appears in the Webif epg with "No EPG data for this time range..." in the field, so af123 (or someone) has fixed that. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if ch5 films are broadcast with dolby surround?
I've set a few other C5 HD films to record over the next week

With all the following the audio stream was 2 channel:
  • Jesse Stone_ Stone Cold_20160429_1515
  • Another Cinderella Story_20160501_1305
  • Alvin & the Chipmunks_ Chipwrecked_20160501_1450
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs_20160501_1630
  • Elysium_20160501_2100
  • Drive Angry_20160501_2310

Channel addition capability has now been built in to Tunefix based on the work done in adding C5 HD. This should make adding new channels easier in future!

Anything you would care to share? I've never been able to add a service to the database and make it stick.

With all the following the audio stream was 2 channel
Someone on Digital Spy is saying that Channel 5's Playout Provider cannot provide (or hasn't been paid to provide), 5.1 capability, although it does offer it via Demand 5 on Sky OnDemand, on the same thread they are also stating that the BBC had decided that there is little demand to provide 5.1 which is why they rarely provide it even when available, as it is on Top Gear etc.

Back