Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Tell the world we have a new out of control variant. Who's stupid idea was that. Oh I know, Halfcock trying to scare us.

One thing I have not seen and perhaps it is too early to know but while the new variant is more easily spread is it also less dangerous? From what little I know of epidemiology as a layman that is often the case.

See. Here is another case of spreading false news. How do you know that it is more easily spread. You don't! You have been taken in by what that proven liar Pratt Halfcock has been spreading. It might as well have come from Karen on Facebook.
The Government have been wrong on so many counts during this fiasco, now they have managed to scare off the whole world. Well done.
And I'm a stanch Tory ashamed that this is the worst lot since goodness knows when. BUT I'm really pleased that we don't have the other commie run lot in charge. Can you just imagine comrade Corbyn running this lot?:eek:
But I suppose some of you can.:laugh:

I'm not a great fan of Hancock (or the rest of them), but I felt a bit of sympathy for him on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning - the guy just looked completely broken. From the almost euphoria two weeks ago of the vaccine roll-out to now the depths of despair over this.

He's probably stuck now in a job that he wouldn't have touched with a barge pole if he'd had any idea up-front that this year was going to pan out as it has done, and he can't really easily quit either because what signal does that send out?

I'm not a great fan of Hancock (or the rest of them), but I felt a bit of sympathy for him on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning - the guy just looked completely broken.
He does come over as a bit of a wally, but I do have some sympathy for him - but not a lot. Can't imagine anyone would make a good job of Health and Social Care at the moment.
Can you just imagine comrade Corbyn running this lot?:eek:
No I can't image comedy Corbyn running it. Starmer, maybe - but whether he'd make a better job :dunno:.

See. Here is another case of spreading false news. How do you know that it is more easily spread.
I listen to what the scientists working on the front line have been saying in the usual radio programmes and podcasts. I never bother with what the politicians have to say about the science.

Kier Starmer sounds quite level headed. In fact I wish that he were a Tory and would replace the buffoon that we have as a PM atm.
Trouble with him though is that he has the backing of the "loony left unions" (not my words) to contend with, and without their 'support' he is pretty stymied.

One thing I have not seen and perhaps it is too early to know but while the new variant is more easily spread is it also less dangerous? From what little I know of epidemiology as a layman that is often the case.
This is where having Le Monde as your home page comes in. Bit safer than Karen on Facebook.
From sciencemediacentre.org:

Prof Peter Openshaw, past-President of the British Society for Immunology and Professor of Experimental Medicine at Imperial College London

“The spread of this new variant has been associated with an increase in hospitalization, especially in Kent and London; however, there is no evidence at the moment that the new variant causes disease which is any different from that caused by previous variants…".

Prof Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine, The Norwich School of Medicine, University of East Anglia

"Currently there’s no evidence it causes more severe disease. At present the current vaccine should still be effective.".

The problem is that while no-one else has actually won a lot of points, there is no reason to have any confidence in the present administration. You cannot be "led by the science" and advocate BrexIt. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that this lot are ok with mass starvation, and probably mass suicide, camps and cannibalism, as long as it doesn't get in the way of their glorious vision of Singapore on Thames. A highly dubious role model.

All I ever wanted was freedom of movement. Also wine, coffee, fresh spaghetti..

Only upside is, my orders from Amazon.FR may or may not be VAT-free. Not helpful if they eventually default on pensions and the lottery prize is a baguette.

Is he working on the front line then?
No. Maybe - according to Wikipedia (so it must be true!) "Whitty is a practising National Health Service (NHS) consultant physician at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases". But he talks some rubbish as well. But not quite as bad as the politicians.

Last edited:
You'd have the thought the IET would have known better than to link 5G and covid-19 in the same tweet.
IET.png
Just linking them together could add to those conspiracy theorists. Not what I pay my (reduced) subs for!

Back