Media mistakes

Ha, I remember well ( in the 60's) pupils being made to write on the blackboard, the word 'film' many times over, as the local pronunciation was 'filum'. This was one example but there were many more. Spelling of words beginning with v and f were also a problem because of local pronunciation.
Spelling test every morning was the norm for us in primary and it has served me well.

Not just v and f. Th seems to cause problems. I’m surprised people don’t spell further as furver. Fink instead of think. Argh!

Easy. Pronounce words correctly (as in BBC English, AKA Received Pronunciation), and they sound a lot closer to how they should be spelt. Eg the 'w' in write is not truly silent, and unless you've heard the difference you wouldn't know that.

Are you sure you are not just reinforcing your own bias against formal (as opposed to liberal) education?

What exactly are you on about? What has that got to do with the pronunciation of the word 'fuchsia'? What are you on? And you know absolutely nothing of my views on education (whether formal or liberal - a meaningless distinction anyway). As someone who was a senior research and policy analyst for ten years at the various predecessors of the current Department of Education I can assure you I have quite a lot of them but I'd rather not waste people's time by talking about them here. And I'd stick to talking about the quirks of the Humax operating system if I were you as at least you appear to have some solid, evidence based, knowledge about that.

...the pronunciation of the word 'fuchsia'?
Just had to look that up in 'Plant Names Simplified'. It gives it as few-che-a after Leonard Fuchs, a C14 German botanist. But the modern German pronunciation of Fuchs is near enough 'fooks' which would make it fooksia...

Case in point: how many times have we seen "should of" written in a forum post, which is simply a transliteration of bad pronunciation and makes no grammatical sense?

I don’t know. It’s one that always confuses me. Oops, I might have confused should/could with of/have. :D

Case in point: how many times have we seen "should of" written in a forum post, which is simply a transliteration of bad pronunciation and makes no grammatical sense?
Never here, but it does raise the subject of mistakes made through mis-hearings and/or not seeing in print. My pet hate example is 'honing in on'.

As well as the of/have business, another one that really annoys me these days (mostly the younger people) is how everyone seems to want to stick an 'h' in after an 's' and before a 't' e.g.
shtudent
shtraight

As well as the of/have business, another one that really annoys me these days (mostly the younger people) is how everyone seems to want to stick an 'h' in after an 's' and before a 't' e.g.
shtudent
shtraight
Mike Brewer being a perfect example, but that is how some southerners speak.

Seen on the BBC News strap-line something like “travel not allowed between the UK and Northern Ireland”. Do they mean GB & NI?

ITV tonight:
"Bear and Nicola Adam's Wild Adventure"
"...Strictly star Nicola Adams goes on an adventure..."

Strewth! That fault took some finding! It's obvious once you see it. I missed it the first three times I looked at it (and the itv.com page). :oops:

Back