Media mistakes

3151 ÷ 59.45 = 53, so that's out 53 times in 34 matches (68 innings?), so I suggest they've worked out the average correctly.
I was not suggesting they hadn't. I was mentally musing on how these tables so often pay little heed to longevity of a career when comparing performances. For example Our Jimmy's number of test wickets is indeed stupendously amazing but needs more careful consideration of the number of years and matches he has played if you wanted to say he was a "better" bowler than some of the others in the all time list. In fact, I think, you would need to do something similar to a Duckworth-Lewis-Stern analysis to assess the impact of their performances on the helping their team to success.

Was listening to the latest episode of the More or Less podcast today which discussed apparently alarming (but actually bogus) claims about Covid vaccination related death rates. At one point the presenter said that for those who had not been vaccinated over the 18 months under examination that people had nearly twice the death rate from that expected. Which made me think of that Bond film "You Only Live Twice" as I thought the ultimate death rate per person was always 1.0. :D

According to the news bulletin on ClassicFM, one lunar day is 14 Earth days.
The European Space Agency appear to have preceded ClassicFM on that score by 10 earth days.

https://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/Operations/India_s_Chandrayaan-3_successfully_lands_on_the_Moon.
There is no clue there that what they meant was lunar day time (in contrast to lunar night time), just the reader's general knowledge and common sense, to enable an understanding of what they meant to refer to.

European Space Agency said:
The lander will soon deploy its rover. During its mission on the surface, which will last for one lunar day (14 days on Earth), the rover will carry out a number of scientific experiments.

Using the word "day" twice in 1 sentence without attempting to make obvious to everyone that the two usages are referring to different meanings is a little odd.

Last edited:
Even more confusing, the US National Ocean Service equates a lunar day to a tidal day. ( here). 24 hours and 50 minutes. And how does that fit with lunar months and calendar months? Confused? You will be!
Some consistency across all uses of the terms lunar day, lunar month would be helpful. Too much to expect.:confused:

I'm confused by the confusion. If you want to get get nit-picky about the exact definition of day this should surely be in assume Vs presume.

I'm confused by the confusion. If you want to get get nit-picky about the exact definition of day this should surely be in assume Vs presume.
It's quite simple: one lunar day is about 29 Earth days. End of. That makes ClassicFM, or whatever source they got it from, a "media mistake".

It doesn't matter whether you define "day" as one revolution with respect to the Sun, or the hours of daylight – so long as it is consistent the relationship stands.

That makes ClassicFM, or whatever source they got it from, a "media mistake".
Everyone has been using the 1 to 14 number including BBC and Reuters.
EDIT: Just looking at a Reuters article and in that one they say: two weeks, or one lunar day. So ...

so long as it is consistent the relationship stands.
It is consistent. One period of lunar daylight lasts through 14 earth periods of daylight.

Last edited:
Not a mistake per se, but the beeb don't usually stoop this low

Resc-ewed: Britain's loneliest sheep saved from shoreline​

I see the MotoGP was mentioned a few pages earlier. It reminded me of this, which I took of my TV back in Aug 2022 (the correct word, of course, was "bikes").

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 19
Back