Words we cannot abide.

Back to the plot:
'Should of' instead of should have.
That's because nobody under 30 reads anything printed any more - if you've never seen it written down, you say what you think you've heard, and twit it the way you think you heard it.

That's because nobody under 30 reads anything printed any more - if you've never seen it written down, you say what you think you've heard, and twit it the way you think you heard it.
When they read or write a "twit", isn't that written down? The under 30s just haven't learned proper like wot we did. Innit.

Ah, yes - innit for isn't it.

Bruv , very annoying and often used in a sentence with innit. I am not related to you nor am I a monk.

Any word with "th" in it pronounced with a "v" instead. Bruv being one example. Other words with "th" pronounced "f".

With apologies to the person who started a thread elsewhere with this, but then used the correct spelling in the posting...

The expectation that TV/PVR systems will work when connected to washing powder or a font. ie. The use of ariel (or arial) to mean aerial.
I don't like antenna either, but it is acceptable.

At least you have not objected to a satellite dish being (correctly) described as an aerial.

But a dish is an antenna. Nobody calls it an aerial. Not in professional circles anyway.

But a dish is an antenna. Nobody calls it an aerial. Not in professional circles anyway.
That's a strange statement to make. I considered myself and others in my radar trade in the RAF fairly professional. In that circle everyone called the radar 'goes roundy' thing an aerial, be it dish shaped, or more recently, flat. And that included receive only aerials. Our friends across the pond call them antennae.
However, commercial terminology seems different insofar as to use terminology to make things a bit clearer to the great unwashed, by calling the satellite aerial a dish and the terrestrial aerial an aerial.
What about the long defunct squaerial that was a satellite aerial and by no means dish shaped.

Other than that, the dish is a reflector, not an aerial.:roflmao:

The use, in official circles at least (eg. MoD), of the term annex. I always used appendix, even in documents sent to the MoD.

But an annex is an addition to a document but an appendix is a bit of you in which you get appendicitis.

I always used appendix, even in documents sent to the MoD.
Was that your company's official policy, or were you making policy up as you went along? If you were writing documents for the MoD, you would have been subject to their style guide. Regardless, they are different things and a document can have both annexes and appendices:
An appendix contains data that cannot be placed in the main document and has references in the original copy or file. An annex, on the other hand, is usually a standalone document that offers additional information than contained in the main document.

I considered myself and others in my radar trade in the RAF fairly professional. In that circle everyone called the radar 'goes roundy' thing an aerial
Oh well, I guess I stand corrected then. I've never heard anyone call it an aerial.
Other than that, the dish is a reflector, not an aerial.
Indeed.

But the military do have their own dictionary - the naming of parts! Things are called what somebody somewhere has decided they shall be called, and nothing else.

I'm not clear whether "aerial" and "antenna" are exact synonyms from different spheres, or if there is some distinction.

I'm not clear whether "aerial" and "antenna" are exact synonyms from different spheres, or if there is some distinction.
No difference in my experience. Fully interchangeable except we Brits prefer aerial just as we prefer aeroplane over airplane.

Was that your company's official policy, or were you making policy up as you went along?
Making it up! Well, I thought I did. I've just checked an earlier report from the research group to the MoD and that used an appendix. Perhaps it was house style after all. Most other reports from the group were 3 or 4 pages. I used to write rather large reports full of flannel :D .
If ever you've read an MoD annex they are not all standalone.

I'm really starting to miss the g from '-ing' as increasingly people forget that it is there. It's all streamin', hurtin', buildin'...

Back